Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Introductions

Urban = city (as in, a place we prefer to live for the sake of its modern resources and conveniences).

Nomadics = a mash-up of "Nomadic" and "Cultures/Peoples/Tribes"... defined by us—as modern nomads with no fixed residence but desiring to wander wherever we are able.

Who (and *what*) are "Urban Nomadics"? Our name, like us, is unconventional and willing to "break the rules." We strive to live life to its fullest, as if each day may be our last. We recognize that there is a paradigm shift from the archaic pedagogies of our dusty forefathers to one of intense uncertainty for the future... of resources, of perceived truths, of economies, of future employment. Or, if one would believe the dystopian visions of Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, or Ray Bradbury, perhaps the impending shift of which we believe ourselves to be on the rising crest has already been prophesied.

For the record, we are neither skeptics nor pessimists. We believe in the general good of most people. But, how can people possibly thrive in a society that dictates every facet of their existence? We don't want to consume cheaply produced, disposable products to maintain our nation's economy. We don't want to "settle down" and invest in a piece of property that can be taken away from us by our government whenever it chooses. We're tired of both living to work AND working to live. We've come to realize that, perhaps, the "system" does not fit our needs.

This blog (for those interested enough to follow) is meant to document our journey as urban nomads as we plan, purchase, renovate, and eventually reside in a metal home on wheels. We aren't here to change the world; we're here to change ourselves. And, in doing so—in leading by example—we hope our vision of urban nomadism causes others to embrace a different style of living. We're not the Joneses... we're their vagabond, free-thinking second cousins (twice removed).

"Him" and "Her" refers to "Us"... the writers of this blog. Since we'll both be contributing bloggers, as well as both actively working together toward our dream, we thought it would be interesting to present a "he said/she said" aspect to this journey. Also, designating a post (or a few paragraphs within a post) as written by "Him" or "Her" helps lessen the confusion of who's talking and when. Finally, if you're at all interested in getting to know a little more about us, as individuals, then read on!

"Her" is an urban gypsy (at heart), born into the wandering lifestyle by a military family. From a young age, while my friends dreamed of one day growing up and having families, kids, and white picket fences, I dreamed of a life on the road in an urban RV. For years, I shared my wistful lifestyle ideals with anyone who would listen. Friends and family, while supportive, didn't think it "practical" or "safe" for a young woman to live on the road, much less on my own. So, imagine my surprise when I finally met the man of my traveling dreams... who ALSO happened to share my dream of living a life less ordinary!

"Him" (who is me) grew up in central Texas, with very stable parents who have lived in the same city their entire lives. I, however, knew from a very early age that this was not for me. As a child, I was continually changing my setting and environment, whether building a wooden fort—a "house" out of sofa cushions—or rearranging my room once a month. After I moved away from my parents, I rented a house with several roommates. Unfortunately, the home we were renting burned down on Christmas Eve, giving me a new perspective of the concept of a home and material objects. Learning to stand at the edge of uncertainty while still understanding the need for self-sufficiency became my life's goal. After a brief stint of van dwelling and a bicycle tour of the Pacific Northwest, I knew that I was on to something. I also realized that having a job to pay for a conventional roof over my head was keeping me from being as mobile and free as I had envisioned but, as I approached the age of thirty, this seemed to be my inevitable fate. So, I began to succumb to what society expected me to have and to be... and how else could I expect to ever find someone to share my life with without having these material expectations? Fortunately, I have met that lady, and she has had the same dream, also wondering who would be crazy enough to join her in this uncharted adventure of being an "urban-technomad". We are, it would seem, finally living our dreams. How did we get so damn lucky!?

Anyways... that's our story! We're hoping this blog will provide interesting insight into our journey, as well as act as resource material for those interested in accomplishing the same. The road before us, while not completely uncharted, lacks clear beacons along the horizon. We're hoping to light the way.

Come join our caravan!

2 comments:

  1. yippee for Her and Him.....excited to follow your progress....have lost touch with you recently....love your new blog....will email you.....xoxoxo terrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrie... I know! I've been thinking about you a lot and hoped to sit down and write a proper e-mail to you soon. While not any sort of excuse... it's been busy up here in the PNW! New job (great boss!!!), extracurricular classes, volunteering, and plans with the Boy in my life keep me too busy for words! However, my last class is this Saturday, so I'll make a point to catch up with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete